Hacking WebsitePanel 1.1 to support SmarterMail 8

Jess

Experienced as a Web Developer and Web Server administrator since 1994, in 1999 Jess set out to start a Web Hosting Provider that would leverage the latest in cutting edge and innovative technologies and make them available to businesses in a way that was easy to understand, easy to use and affordable. Today Applied Innovations is a recognized leader in Windows Hosting and specializes in ASP.NET, E-Commerce and Advanced Web Application Hosting.

You may also like...

12 Responses

1. Stored XSS, Reflected XSS, SmarterMail 8.0.4086.25048, CWE-79, CAPEC-86 http://xss.cx/examples/smartermail-80-full-disclo

2. Steve says:

We have recently put a new SM8 installation on WSP 1.1.2, and ran into this very issue. The zip file contains 4 DLLs…your post mentions 3. Can you clarify?

When I copy the DLLs and restart IIS, I am able to add the mail service, but any updates generate an exception (shown below). If I remove the mail service, the service is removed, but an error is reported (Error getting remove server information). Attempting to update other service configurations (such as DNS) return the same exception as experienced when adding the mail service.

Can you provide any guidance?

Could not load file or assembly 'WebsitePanel.Providers.Base, Version=1.1.2.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=da8782a6fc4d0081' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

3. Dan Van Kuren says:

You should find the code right around lines 2133 and 2170. Make the change, recompile, and deploy the new WebsitePanel.Providers.Mail.Smartermail7.dll file to your MAIL SERVER's WebsitePanelServerBin directory (make a backup of the old DLL first just in case something breaks). That should be all it takes. You should now be able to add a "SmarterMail 7.x" server resource and include it in your hosting plans.

• Dan Van Kuren says:

You can download the source for WebsitePanel from https://websitepanel.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/… using an SVN client like SmartSVN. Just make sure to get the source from the Releases/1.1.2 directory. You should be able to use Microsoft Visual C# Express to compile the DLL if you don't have full-fledged Visual Studio, but since you likely won't be able to load the entire solution in the Express version you'll have to fix the references to WebsitePanel.Providers.Base and WebsitePanel.Server.Utils (just remove the references and then add two new references, pointing them to your existing copies of the WebsitePanel.Providers.Base.dll and WebsitePanel.Server.Utils.dll, both of which can be found in your WebsitePanelBin directory).

… or if you want to take the easy way out just include your email address and I will mail you the file.

(I wish they would give you a bit more space for replies) 🙂

4. jcoburn says:

Steve & Dan, sorry I missed the comments. That's right you just need to edit the one file and should. This was just a hack until the WSP team delivers the updated bits. If you're still stuck Steve let me know and I'll pop up updated code for you. I have a fresh build already as I have other customizations we've had to merge in as well.

Happy to hear the post is useful 😉

Jess

5. Mehran says:

Hi
    Is there anybody created dll's for WSP 1.2.0 ?
    I would be appreciated if email me at mojadad@gmail.com
    I need your help

6. Dave says:

Likewise trying to get hold of dll's for WSP 1.2.0 asap since I have just moved to a new server – can anyone help. Email address is dave4346 (at symbol) marketingmatch.net

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

7. Jess Coburn says:

Sorry guys, I'm going to update the blog post and send over the updated binaries now. Jess

8. Brian says:

WebsitePanel 1.2
    SmarterMail 8.2

When trying to add the SmarterMail 7.x site I get this error after using the updated DLLs

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. —> Client found response content type of 'text/html; charset=utf-8', but expected 'text/xml'.